FIRST Indiana Robotics team grants are available thanks to the generosity of our many supporters! We are thrilled to offer grant opportunities to FIRST teams statewide. A single application (one per team) is required to evaluate a team's eligibility for all available grants.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Any FIRST team in Indiana can apply - Veteran or Rookie.
- The person submitting the application should be an ADULT (not a student) who is the PRIMARY CONTACT for the Team.
- The person submitting the application will need to create a free Submittable account. All grant-related communications will be sent to the email address associated with your Submittable account.
- DO NOT use a student team member’s name or email address when creating a Submittable account, or submit an application under a pre-existing student team member’s account.
- Only ONE APPLICATION PER TEAM may be submitted. Duplicate submissions will be deleted.
DO I HAVE TO PAY THE REGISTRATION FEE BEFORE APPLYING?
- NO - teams can submit the Team Grant Application regardless of whether they have paid their Registration Fee.
- Teams who submit an Application under a Temporary Team Number (2020##### or 2021#####) will be asked to update their Application once they receive a Permanent Team Number from FIRST.
- Any FLL or FTC team that is awarded a FIRST Indiana Robotics Team Grant will be required to pay their FIRST Registration Fee within 4 weeks of receiving their grant award letter (FIRST Robotics Competition teams ONLY: grant funds may be automatically applied to your registration fee, which is typically due in mid-November. All grant funds, unless otherwise restricted, will be sent to your FIRST Inspires team account).
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE APPLYING?
- The application will ask for basic information about your team, your team’s location and primary contacts, the demographic make-up of your team members, and any mentors that work with your team. You can preview the application questions by scrolling down on this page.
- We understand that you may not know who all will be on your team yet. We ask you to be realistic and honest in your application, but we know teams will change throughout the season. All grant recipient teams will submit final demographic information in the required End-of-Season Report.
- You can start the application, then click "Save Draft" at the bottom if you need to come back and finish it later. To find your saved drafts, log in to your Submittable account, click on “Submissions,” then click on the "Saved Drafts" tab. Make sure to click the "Submit" button when your application is complete.
ARE ANY DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION?
- [REQUIRED] W-9: ALL APPLICANTS must submit a W-9 with their application. Upload a W-9 for the entity which collects funds on your team's behalf (can be a school campus, school district, PTO/PTA, Booster Club, non-profit, or other fundraising organization).
HOW DO YOU DETERMINE OUR ROOKIE OR VETERAN TEAM STATUS?
- We use criteria from your application to determine whether your team is considered a Rookie or a Veteran team. This designation will only apply to FIRST Indiana Robotics Team Grants and may change depending on the grant source.
HOW DO YOU DETERMINE TEAM ELIGIBILITY FOR GRANTS?
- We manage a variety of grants from different grantors; each grant will have its own eligibility requirements.
WHAT GRANT AMOUNTS ARE AVAILABLE?
Grant amounts are dependent on rookie vs veteran status, geography, and eligibility requirements from grantors. The range of grant amounts based on the program are included below:
- FIRST LEGO League Explore - $75 - $250+
- FIRST LEGO League Challenge - $300 - $650+
- FIRST Tech Challenge - $500 - $1,000+
- FIRST Robotics Competition - $500 - $2,000+
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY APPLICATION WAS RECEIVED?
- You will receive a confirmation email at the email address associated with your Submittable account.
- If you do not receive the confirmation email, first check your spam/junk folder and double-check that you entered your email address correctly.
- You will also be able to see the status of your application in your Submittable account. When logged in, click on “Submissions.” When viewing the “All Submissions” list, you will see a blue “Received” label next to the row for your “2020 Team Grant Application.” You may also see a blue “In Progress” label, which indicates that we have begun checking your application for accuracy.
WHEN ARE GRANTS AWARDED?
- The majority of grants will be awarded during three primary Review Rounds in September, October, & November; however, we continue to award grants throughout the duration of the season. Your application will remain on file and will be reviewed for all grant opportunities for which your team may be eligible.
HOW WILL WE KNOW IF WE RECEIVE A GRANT?
- If your team is awarded a grant, you will receive a Grant Award Notification Email at the email address associated with your Submittable account.
- You can also see the status in your Submittable account. When logged in, click on “Submissions.” When viewing the “All Submissions” list, you will see a green “Accepted” label next to the row for your “2020 Team Grant Application” for the team that received a grant. Click on the row to view the team’s Application. On the “Activity” tab, you will see a notification that the application was “Accepted by FIRST Indiana Robotics;” on the “Messages” tab, you will see the full text of the Grant Award Notification Email.
- FIRST Indiana Robotics Team Grants will NOT immediately show up on your Team's Dashboard at www.firstinspires.org (exceptions apply to some FIRST Robotics Competition team grants; see your award email for details).
IF WE RECEIVE A GRANT, WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
All teams who receive a Team Grant from FIRST Indiana Robotics will need to complete additional requirements, depending on the type of Grant received. All Teams who receive a Grant are required to:
- Complete payment of the FIRST Registration Fee within 4 weeks of receiving a grant award (or by mid-November if a FIRST Robotics Competition team)
- Recognize their Grantors
- Compete in the program during the season as an official team
- Complete an End-Of-Season Report
Additional requirements may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing payment and/or shipping information
- Submitting a team roster
- Submitting information on how the grant funds were allocated
- Submitting receipts for purchases made
You will receive a Grant Checklist along with your Grant Award Notification Email that will list any additional requirements for the type of grant you receive. Failure to complete any grant requirements will result in a team/school/organization's ineligibility to receive FIRST Indiana Robotics Team Grants for ONE FULL SEASON following the current season.
HOW WILL WE RECEIVE OUR GRANT AWARD FUNDS?
Grant fund distribution and application will vary depending on the grant type and your FIRST program.
- Some Grant funds can be directly applied to your FIRST Registration Fee and/or Local Event Fees.
- Some Grant funds can be used to make purchases from approved vendors, or as reimbursement for approved expenses.
- Some Grant funds will be issued to your team directly via check.
Refer to your Grant Award Email for full details on how to access and use your Grant funds.
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE DON’T RECEIVE A GRANT?
If your team is NOT selected to receive an award in Round 1, you will receive a notification email indicating that your submission has been Declined for Round 1. Within 72 hours, your submission will be re-opened for editing, should you need to make any changes. 24 hours (or earlier) prior to the start of Round 2 reviews, your submission will be closed and placed back in the "In Progress" queue for review in Round 2. This process will be repeated for any subsequent rounds in which your team does not receive an award.
Reminder: All communications related to your application will be sent to the email address associated with your Submittable account; a copy will also be attached to your application. If you suspect you may not be receiving these communications, you can confirm by logging in to your Submittable account, viewing one of your applications, and checking for any Messages in the "Messages" tab.
All of the information collected in this application is relevant to the targets or goals of one or more of our grantors. Data collected in this application may be used in connection with grant reporting, newsletters, websites and marketing materials associated with FIRST programs. At no time will student identifiable information be released or published; only aggregated information.